Volunteers Needed for Offsite Season: Halls for Hire
We are pleased to announce volunteer opportunities in our Halls For Hire season!
Performance Space is looking for invigilators to assist projects by Brown Council, Alex Davies and Jane McKernan in our upcoming season Halls for Hire. This is an offsite season, which sees a diverse range of artists and performers engage with community halls across the city, inner west and Clifton, and critically reflect on the cultures, communities and mythologies surrounding these public spaces. Volunteers will need to arrange their own transport to and from the venues.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
- Taking instruction from the organisers of the host venue
- Acting as Front of House staff and ensuring the building is kept secure at all times
- Answering general enquiries from the public
- Managing the flow of traffic in the exhibition space
- Providing information and helping patrons interpret the work
- Opening/closing the exhibition
- Starting up/shutting down the exhibits
- Supervising and maintaining the works
- Assisting with audience development, i.e. encouraging patrons to fill in the Audience Survey form
- Other tasks when required
MASS ACTION: 137 CAKES IN 90 HOURS (BROWN COUNCIL)
This 90-hour durational bake-off will take place at the Country Women’s Association NSW Headquarters in Potts Point. Two volunteers will be required each day to invigilate the space while the performance is open to the public.
The dates of the performance are from Tuesday 28th August – Saturday 1st September, the venue is open to the public from 10am to 3pm daily. There will be a Cake Judging and Afternoon Tea on the Saturday afternoon.
In addition to the tasks listed above volunteers may also be asked to prepare ingredients for the artists and assist with documenting the work.
PHANTASM #3 (ALEX DAVIES)
A site-specific installation in the basement of Petersham Bowling Club invites the viewer into the research laboratory of two fledgling academics, investigating reports of new-media aberrations that have occurred at the site since the turn of the century.
The exhibition will be open to the public from the 12th to 23rd of September, Wednesday to Sunday between 12 and 6pm. Only one volunteer is required per day, however the shift can be split in two.
OPENING & CLOSING CEREMONY (JANE MCKERNAN)
Opening & Closing Ceremony is a new dance work and monologue that will attempt to find where the individual body intersects with notions of family, community and nation. Clever, challenging and funny, McKernan’s work and stands in curious contrast to the recent London Olympic event.
The event will take place between Thursday 13 September and Saturday 15 September 7pm. In addition to the aforementioned tasks, volunteers may be required to act as runners during the event, as well as provide technical support and take part in ad hoc activities.
Volunteer benefits include:
- Professional training and induction to Performance Space
- Afternoon tea with Performance Space staff and artists
- A ticket for you and a friend to a performance during our SEXES program
- Invitation to the Halls for Hire Clubhouse event
- A letter of recommendation listing your training, tasks and duties while volunteering
Find out more about the season at www.performancespace.com.au/2012/halls-for-hire
Please register your interest by emailing email@example.com or calling (02) 8571 9111.
Show everything in Old News |