Volunteers Needed: SEXES festival
Performance Space is looking for gallery invigilators for our upcoming exhibition SEXES. The exhibition will run from Oct 25 – Dec 1 at Carriageworks.
Volunteer responsibilities include:
• Acting as Front of House staff, answering general enquiries from the public
• Managing the flow of traffic in the exhibition space
• Providing information and helping patrons interpret the works
• Opening/closing the exhibition
• Starting up/shutting down the exhibits
• Supervising and maintaining the works
• Assisting with audience development, i.e. encouraging patrons to fill in the Audience Survey form
• Other tasks when required
Volunteer benefits include:
• Professional training and induction to Performance Space
• Afternoon tea with Performance Space staff and artists
• A ticket for you and a friend to a performance during our program
• Invitation to the opening event
• A letter of recommendation listing your training, tasks and duties while volunteering
SEXES expands from the current revival of interest in the provocations of feminist discourse. As a critical survey of recent contemporary Australian art, the project explodes binary notions of gender and sexuality to examine and celebrate a multiplicity of perspectives and practices.
Artists working in photomedia, video, installation, performance, sculpture, collage and theoretical discourse address the expressions of gender in an Australian context.
Curated by Bec Dean, Deborah Kelly and Jeff Khan
Featured Artists: Cigdem Aydemir • Liam Benson • Eric Bridgeman • Philip Brophy • Marley Dawson • Trevor Fry • Tarryn Gill & Pilar Mata Dupont • Natalya Hughes • The Kingpins • Paul Knight • LEVEL • John Meade • Tracey Moffatt & Gary Hillberg • Luke Parker & Sangeeta Sandrasegar • Parachutes for Ladies • Julie Rrap • Christian Thompson
Exhibition contains coarse language, nudity, sexual references and adult themes and is unsuitable for children.
Throughout SEXES, the gallery spaces will be animated by a series of live performances that will extend, contextualise, and generally prance around the themes and ideas raised by the exhibition. Featuring some of Australia’s most thrilling visual and performing artists, the SEXES Live Art Program will span performance tours, a participatory clothes-swapping event, durational spectacles, and much more.
Artists include Paul Gazzola, Wart, Sarah Coconis, and more to be announced.
Please register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (02) 8571 9111.